Earthquakes, Storms, and Loss of Power – Oh My!
Living in the California Bay Area, an emergency generator is a must-have, and probably a good idea wherever you live.
If you are looking for an emergency generator, here is what I own and recommend for the average person who doesn’t want to spend thousands of dollars on a generator but wants to feel secure during an intermittent or multi-day power outage.
Champion Power Equipment 100900 2000-Watt Dual Fuel Inverter Generator, Ultralight
My neighbor had one of these and while I already had the Jackery listed below, I grabbed one. Being able to run off of propane is amazing. The price should be around $500-$600, but it does jump around. Worth bookmarking at Amazon and pouncing when the price is right. Click the image for the link.
- Using gasoline produces 2000 starting watts and 1600 running watts. Using propane, it produces 1800 starting watts and 1440 running watts.
- DUAL FUEL: Operate your 2000-watt portable generator right out of the box on either gasoline or propane, plus at only 39 pounds, this inverter is one of the lightest 2000-watt inverters in the industry
- QUIET OPERATION: With an ultra-quiet 53 dBA from 23 feet, enjoy 2000 starting watts, 1700 running watts, and up to 11.5 hours of run time on gasoline, and 1530 running watts and up to 34 hours on propane
- PARALLEL READY: The optional, sold-separately clip-on parallel kit enables this inverter to connect with another 2000-watt Champion inverter to double your output power
- CLEAN POWER FOR SENSITIVE ELECTRONICS: Includes two covered 120V 20A household outlets with clean electricity (less than 3% THD), a 12V automotive-style outlet, plus a handy dual port USB adapter
- CHAMPION SUPPORT: Includes a 3-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts
Jackery Solar Generator 1000, 1002Wh Capacity with 2x SolarSaga 100W Solar Panels, 3 x 1000W AC Outlets, Portable Power Station Ideal for Home Backup, Emergency, RV Outdoor Camping
Not cheap – but would spend the money again in a heartbeat. Super portable, and can recharge with solar panels while you are using it. Also, the solar panels can be used by themselves to charge your phone or other devices. A lifesaver and very portable for picnics, camping, etc. Again, click the image for the link.
- Clean and Unlimited Solar Energy: 100% green energy with a smart MPPT controller for optimal charging efficiency. The power station can be fully charged with 2 Jackery SolarSaga 100W solar panels within 6 hrs or only 5.5 hrs via AC wall outlet charging. Ideal for your camping or family emergency storage.
- Easy to Use in Seconds: Just one simple touch to finish setup within 60s to enjoy outstanding charging efficiency.
- Safe & Reliable for Outdoor Camping: Features industry-leading cylindrical batteries (popular with manufacturers of Electric Vehicles) that meet UL safety standards. Certified with Impact-Resistance Class 9, passing the UL drop test (withstanding 3 drops from 0.9m height on any surface). The pure sine wave inverter delivers constant voltage that protects equipment from damage.
- Power Pretty Much Anything: Power 90% of home appliances with 1002Wh (1000W AC output power) and 8 outlets (3*AC outlet, 1*USB-A, 1*USB-A quick charge 3.0, 2*USB-C PD, 1*Car outlet). Ideal for outdoor off-grid activities and home backup power to power refrigerator, TV, mini cooler, electric grill, fan, and more for your outdoor and home needs.
- Quiet & Strong: At such a large capacity, this Explorer will leave you with VERY LITTLE to NO noise, giving you peace and power all at once. Extra bonus for the built – unlike most other portable generators, this supports pass-through charging while its battery life is protected.
- What You Get: 1* Jackery Explorer 1000 Portable Power Station, 2*SolarSaga 100W Solar Panels, 1*AC Adapter, 1* Car Charger Cable, 1*SolarSaga Parallel Adapter, User Manuals.